Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ouchies

On Christmas Eve, Sophie turned just-so and bonked her eye on the corner of her chair and ended up with a lovely black eye. 


And then . . . It was about 8pm on a Friday. Kurt was off to his hockey game. The kids and I had finished watching a cartoon and I'd sent them off to brush their teeth and get ready for bed. If they hurried, I could read before lights out and then I'd could do whatever I wanted all by myself. Oh, hopeful, wishful thinking!

Instead, I could hear Austin & Nyah wrestling in the hallway. Olivia, Jolie, & Sophie were wired- turning off all the lights and chasing each other all over the place. I grabbed the bowl of cut apples left in the middle of the floor and headed to the kitchen in the dark when WHAM. Jolie ran into me and the bowl. She started wailing and I crossly snapped at her. Then I turned on the lights and looked at her. And the blood. And the tiny cut that seemed to be gaping just enough to maybe need a stitch or two. Oh, please no. 


I tried reaching Kurt. No answer. Texted him a picture. No reply. Then I called my mom. Texted her a picture. Kurt replied. Talked with my mom a little, and we all agreed: It's on her face and it's gaping just enough and we want it to heal right so there's less of a scar, so maybe it needs a stitch. . . . Boo.

I interrupted the wrestling match in the hall & put those two wild ones in charge. They turned on a movie and pulled out Legos and had things under control before I even had my shoes on. Olivia grabbed pants, socks, & shoes, and helped Jo get dressed while Jo held a paper towel to her head . We headed to the hospital (2nd time for me- same day as Olivia's MRI). 


Jo was a champ- no crying or flinching. Business as usual.

The doctor's hands were shaking so bad I was a little concerned, especially after she accidentally pulled out the first stitch she put in, but you know, two attempts for one stitch is not too bad. An hour and a half later we were headed home. 


The next morning they woke up, excited, "It's ice skating day!" 

Yeah, I don't think so. 
No throwing up from an anesthesia hangover & being carsick. 
No popping stitches. 
No bumps or bruises or blisters. 
Sit down and watch tv and stop complaining. 

Because I was curious (and I couldn't remember what happened the last time Jolie had stitches so I had to look it up), I present Jolie's injuries:
Feb 2009- Black Eyed Jo
Oct 2009- Jolie's Tongue
Jan 2010- As if we....
May 2010- Just because
July 2012 - Jinxed myself


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...