Saturday, March 15, 2014

Super Dade

Our sweet Dade passed away peacefully today. 

Yesterday, he started to lose control of his hind legs and we took him to the vet. I left the office hopeful that with rest and medication he had a good chance of recovering. 

Unfortunately, the paralysis progressed so quickly that shortly after we reached home he was completely unable to walk, dragging his legs when he refused to stay put. Not long after, he could no longer wag his tail or control his bowels. Although he lost all feeling in his legs and tail, he was evidently in pain and uncomfortable and miserable. 

When I came into the living room early this morning he was snuggled and surrounded by his loving and adoring fans who had slipped from their own beds during the night to be close to him. 

We talked all day about options, possibilities, percentages, probabilities, maybes, what-ifs, wheelchairs - over and over and over again - and came to realize that whatever we did, even with best possible outcomes, he'd no longer be able to do many of the things he was previously able to do. 

For some reason, I thought I'd handle losing a pet better this time since I'm all grown up now (having lost other pets as a kid).  Maybe I understand the "whys" better, but in reality, he was my baby, as much as my kids, and I'm heartbroken. We all are.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs. It's never easy with the passing of your furry family members.

    ReplyDelete

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...