Friday, December 28, 2012

Books & Stuff

Books

Expecting Adam by Martha Beck - about a woman's decision to keep her down syndrome baby in a time and place where everyone else expected her to "take care it." I read it because I am drawn to the experiences of other parents of special needs kids. 

The Complete Book of Flower Fairies By Cicely Mary Barker - I love beautiful books and this is one of the most beautiful books I've seen in a long time. Beautiful pictures, beautiful poems. Sigh. It makes my heart happy. There is also an official website, so go check it out. At our library we also found A Flower Fairy Alphabet, a cd of children's songs, and a few years ago my mom gave Nyah Flower Fairy paper dolls, so they've made a reappearance the last couple weeks. 

Lego: A Love Story by Jonathon Bender - Austin requested and checked out this book, but when I saw it I knew I needed to pre-read it. It is about AFOLs (adult fans of legos), the history of adult lego fans, and the author's journey into the AFOLs world as he and his wife are trying to start a family. Not exactly 11-year old boy reading material. I thought it was just okay, but I'm not an AFOL.

Eliza's Daughter by Jane Aiken - I love Jane Austen sequels, spin-offs, re-tellings, and so on. I consume them at an alarming rate- even silly ones. But this is the stupidest book I have read in a long time. The story is about the daughter of Colonel Brandon's ward which I thought could be promising. Not so. All the original characters from Sense and Sensibility were turned into horrid people, yes, even Eleanor and Edwards Ferrars, and the plot rambled all over the place in weird ways. 

Sebastian St. Cyr series by C.S. Harris - Yes, I read all 7 books of this series in less than a week. There were certainly some things I didn't like, but overall very enjoyable, engaging reading. 

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn - I was trying to find another similar series to the Sebastian St. Cyr series. This is not it. I don't like whiny protagonists. I live with whiny, I don't want to read it. I didn't make it past the first couple chapters. So maybe it gets better. 

TV

Kurt and I have been watching season 3 of Castle. And Big Bang Theory reruns.

Dying to Have Known - documentary about the Gerson therapy for cancer patients. 

MOVIES

We saw "The Hobbit" with Austin & Nyah. It's so fun having kids old enough to have read the book and see the movie and discuss it all. Fun fun fun. We've been watching "The Lord of the Rings" movies again as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...