Saturday, September 7, 2013

2013-2014 Dailyish Schedule

I'm a big fan of "-ish." It gives us the room and freedom to make adjustments when it's needed. 

My goal this year was to keep things simple. That has sort of worked out - so far anyways. I had to say no to some things we've done and loved in the past (Lego club and community classes outside our commonwealth), but everything worked out and we're going to have a great year!

We start each day with eating breakfast - some of us get ready for the day, and others hang out in their PJ's and get ready when they want to play with friends later.

We start our school time with Devotional/Circle Time-
A song & prayer, Book of Mormon for Grades 4-7, and A Hive of Busy Bees or The Friend. Then we go over our Word of the Week, Root word, and Poetry Memorization.

After devotional, I read with Sophie so she gets some of my attention before I focus on the older kids. Then I work with Olivia & Jolie on their Happy Phonics & math. While I'm doing this, Austin & Nyah do their daily work or other assignments they can do on their own.

Each week, I print off a checklist for my kids - one for Austin, one for Nyah, and Olivia & Jolie share one. I often need to tweak things, so I make these lists in Excel.  




Austin does most of his work on his own, although he still likes to tell me things he finds interesting or ask questions when he doesn't understand something. We're doing new programs for Grammar, Writing, & Literature this year, so I'm leading those lessons. 


Nyah needs more help - she's reading much better, however, she struggles with comprehension when she's reading by herself. As a result, I read most of her school books out loud to her. This way, she can keep her hands busy (coloring, sewing, etc.) and focus on what I'm reading. Olivia & Jolie also listen and participate.



Olivia & Jolie are doing some of the same subjects as Nyah - Marine Biology and Westward Expansion. 

Austin & Nyah also help Olivia - I have a couple jars with slips of paper with fine motor skills & gross motor skills. They pick one and work on it with Olivia for 10-15 minutes. For speech, we work on Olivia's homework from her speech therapist.

We've been finishing up with school work in 3ish hours most days. Their technology classes and commonwealth starts up this next week, as well as Austin's science & robotics club.

I'm really excited for commonwealth this year. Austin is doing Shakespeare Conquest, Nyah is doing Young Stateswoman club, and Olivia is doing Liberty Girls. The older kids will have art classes & choir, and there will be a music appreciation class and other activities for the younger kids. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...