Wednesday, January 2, 2013

More Books

Guess how I've been spending my Christmas vacation? Well, tomorrow it's back to the grindstone so I won't be doing much free reading.

After my annual reciting of "Animal Crackers" by Christopher Morley to my kids over hot cocoa and animals crackers following an afternoon of playing in the snow, I started to wonder what else Christopher Morley has written. So I read Parnassus on Wheels and started The Haunted Bookshop. They are light and fun and quick reads.

 More attempts to find a good murder mystery series-

A Royal Pain by Rhys Bowen - Slow and unexciting. It's a fun premise - 32nd in line to inherit the throne, a woman of noble birth must make her own way in the world and solves murders as she goes. I'm not sure I'm all that interested in reading more, but maybe the other books get better?

Murder on Astor Place by Victoria Thompson - I'm trying to think of what to say about this book and the only thing that comes to mind is "Ick" but that's more to do with the nature of the crimes commited than the book. Overall, slow and unexciting and choppy, and everything was sort of thrown together at the end. I may try one or two more just to see if they get any better. 

Fun Reads-

The Spy Princess & The Trouble with Kings by Sherwood Smith - I think Smith's plots ramble around a bit, but overall enjoyable and entertaining. These would be what I consider Book Candy- delicious, but shouldn't read them all the time.

The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye - a delightful tale about an ordinary princess. I'd guess around 2nd or 3rd grade level. Really wonderful. 

More serious books I'm working my way through-

Asperger's and Girls by Tony Atwood & others
POsitive Discipline for Children with Special Needs by Jane Nelson
Never Be Sick Again by Raymond Francis
Healing the Gerson Way by Charlotte Gerson
Homeschool BlastOff! by Kathryn Louis

And I need to finish reading Laddie by Gene Stratton-Porter for my book club this Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...