Tuesday, June 4, 2013

In Loving Memory - Grandma Nina Hicks

I didn't get to see my Grandma Nina very often and I didn't know her very well. She lived in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and although she came to visit throughout the years my childhood I didn't take much time then to get to know her. 

Grandma Nina and my aunts - Barb & Beth - at my wedding February 2000.


She was raised on a Sioux indian reservation in South Dakota and education was so important to her mother, she was sent away to Catholic school. I know she loved to read romance novels and play bingo. I know she loved her family. I remember her soft hugs and I she always wore a lovely perfume. I remember her joking and laughing, but there were also plenty of "no-nonense" about her. She had firm opinions :)


A few weeks ago she celebrated her 85th birthday and we sent her some flowers. When the "thank you" note arrived in the mail it was addressed in my mom's hand, who was there helping her at the time. I was so surprised and happy when I  opened it to see her small, beautiful handwriting. I was pretty frantic the last couple weeks when I couldn't find this note and worried I had lost my last letter from my sweet Grandma. I'm so thrilled when I found it buried in one of my paper piles. 


My Grandma Nina passed away May 31, 2013 after a long and difficult battle with cancer and kidney failure. I'm so grateful she's no longer suffering. Love you, Grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...