Thursday, February 14, 2013

Homeschooling - Keep Going

Whenever I tell people I homeschool, their reply is usually some variation of:

I could never homeschool, because . . . 
I don't have the patience. 
I couldn't handle being with my kids all day.

But I have a secret to share.

Homeschooling doesn't automatically make a patient, pleasant mom. It doesn't automatically make kids attentive, obedient, and pleasant. 

Sometimes I can be impatient and grumpy. My kids too. Sometimes we don't like to be around each other. Sometimes there is fighting. Crying. Hitting. Biting. Tantrums. Attitudes. Rolling eyes. Death stares.

And the chaos, oh my! 

However, homeschooling is like doing anything else. 

If you want to be good at something you have to keep trying. Keep practicing. Keep working on it. Keep going.

And public school teachers? They have good days and bad days. Sometimes they're patient. Sometimes they aren't. 

Sometimes they'd rather be on a lounge chair on the beach of a tropical island soaking up the hot sunshine far, far away from their students. Me too. 

But they keep coming back to school. Keep trying. Keep practicing. Keep working on it. Keep going. 

Public school parents? good days and bad days.
Doctors? good days and bad days.
Cashiers? good days and bad days.
Truck drivers, nurses, waitresses, accountants - they all have bad days and good days too. 

But they all keep trying, keep practicing, keep working on it, keep going.

Noticing a pattern? 

So, if you want to homeschool . . . keep going.

When I think about all the wonderful things that come with homeschooling - Lots of hugging and snuggling. Lots of triumphs and cheering each other on. Lots of friendly, happy, contented playing. Lots of learning together and discussing ideas. Lots of shared experiences - the challenging times are worth it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...