Monday, February 25, 2013

My Helpful Reading

I like to read. In addition to fiction, I'm always reading things to help me be a better parent, wife, and person!

Books:

Positive Discipline for Children with Special Needs - I love love love the Positive Discipline books. I almost always have one playing in my car. I purchased this several months ago thinking of Olivia, but it has certainly been helpful with Nyah (and really all my kids).

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families - just excellent stuff!

The New Social Story Book - an effective way of teaching autistic/asperger's children is through social stories. So far I've had mixed results, but we're just getting started! I've also found videos on youtube by searching for a specific topic or on this blog - Aspergers Social Stories.

Some articles that have recently caught my eye:

3 Mistakes We Make Leading Kids and How to Correct Them - good for all parents! 

Have I shared Drops of Awesome before? Here is a follow up - Don't Be Their Negative Voice - also good for all parents

The Power of Mothers and Babies

National Center for Learning Disabilities has tons of great information & articles I've found very helpful - 
How Parents Can Be Advocates for their Children
Tips for Parenting a Child with AD/HD
A Parent's Top 10 Tips and Tricks for the IEP Process, Part 1 and Part 2

TOS Homeschool Crew:
Homeschooling Your Special Needs Child
Homeschooling Special Needs Children: Combining Therapy and Homeschooling

I know my focus seems a little obsessive :) but really this isn't something new. I've been researching and doing so many different things with Nyah for so long, trying to figure things out - so to finally have a direction to go that will actually be really, truly helpful makes me giddy.  Plus, I have two special needs girls - Nyah & Olivia. Olivia is just getting started in her learning journey and I *hope* I can help her journey be easier than it has been for Nyah. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...