Saturday, March 2, 2013

Devotional 2013

We like to start our homeschool mornings with a devotional. Most days this actually happens! Some days it doesn't - I'd say we average 3 out 5 school mornings. 

I've started doing something new this year for our morning devotionals - devotional pages. We include these in our binders with a copy of the song we are learning. 

Yes, it's sitting on my sock basket :)

Right now our devotional pages include:
It's amazing how this helps my kids memorize important things! By the end of the month I have Austin & Nyah keep their binders closed and we recite most of the page from memory. 

After our devotional pages, we do our reading:

Doctrine and Covenant Stories - LDS church history. I watched for these at DI/thrift stores and was able to get everyone their own copy for around a $1 each. 
For the Strength of Youth - LDS standards for youth (and really everyone). 
Prudence and the Millers (once or twice a week)

Most days, Austin, Nyah, and I take turns reading through everything while Olivia, Jolie, & Sophie color or play quietly nearby. Sometimes I read everything and Austin & Nyah will work on things for school - building lego robots, finishing are/craft projects, and similar. When I had only younger kids, I'd read everything and everyone colored or played quietly. 

"Play quietly" - ha ha ha - did you believe that? While we {frequently} remind the younger girls to whisper to each other and keep their toys quiet, reality is much more noisy. Sometimes I send the younger girls off to their rooms to play if they can't keep their volume to a reasonable level, but for the most part we just keep going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on these days....

Kurt- Busy as ever with work  Decided to do his Master's degree Still playing guitar & charming our children to sleep Mana...